Friday, August 15, 2008

Mouse Potato

Do you know what the title of this post means? If you are thinking that it is the name of an exotic dish then I must say you are quite an adventurous foodie. Interestingly, I recently read an article about consumption of rat meat in India - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7557107.stm
I became a vegetarian more than a year back but even when I used to eat meat I never ate mouse.The Mouse Potato I am discussing is a phrase similar in meaning to Couch Potato. If you don't know the meaning of either of these terms then congratulations, I believe u r leading a really good life. Or it could also be that u r just ignorant.
Couch potato is a person who spends a lot of time in front of the TV. Someone who can channel surf or watch shows and movies on TV for many hours. Believe me you don't want to be like that. Now a Mouse Potato is similar but he sits in front of the computer for hours.This term was inevitably coined when computers and internet became so pervasive. There are plenty of addictive things on the computer like video games,chatting and internet surfing in general.
Although I can proudly say that I was never really a couch potato or lets say not a big one, but I will definitely consider myself a mouse potato.
I sit in front of my computer for hours. Checking my email, Orkut, Facebook etc. Also watching movies,shows and news. Even chatting at times. Hell, this is much worse than TV. I do have basic cable with 22 channels and hardly watch it. But the first thing I do after waking up in the morning and silencing my alarm is turning on my laptop. Then I switch if off when I leave for work. But in my office I sit in front of the computer for 8 hours again. Then when I come back home I turn my laptop on again and switch it off before sleeping. So the computer has become an extension of my being. I hate the fact that I spend so much of my spare time in front of the computer and solemnly intend to change that.
While the internet saves us a lot of time since we can pay almost all our bills online, get directions to get to places and also shop online, it also has the potential to hog all our time so be careful.
These are some of the thing I hope to do with my time away from a computer on a weekday.
1. Exercise
2. Meditation
3. Reading paper books
4. Talking on the phone
5.Blogging

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey that ways toh even i'm a mouse potato...i sit in front of computers for hours while flying too!
But tell me 1 thing...how do u plan 2 blog sitting away from a computer????

Manan said...

sitting in front of the computer for work is all right.
but spending too much of your spare time in front of the computer is unhealthy.
As far as blogging is concerned I will need to do it from my computer.
Have u started blogging too?

Manan said...

blogging while flying could be injurious to health :P

Anonymous said...

lol....no yaar i'm not much into blogging myself...but i like going thru other ppl's blogs (only if they r interesting enuf!)...so wot's the latest hot n happening news from ur world's end?

Ani said...

dude you are getting lonely!

Ani said...

guess who wrote that comment falguni! and you get a beer!